Everyone knows there’s a list of the Seven Wonders of the World but only a few can name them. Here’s a brief history lesson.
The final list of the Seven Wonders was compiled during the Middle Ages. The list comprised the seven most impressive monuments of the Ancient World, some of which barely survived to the Middle Ages.
The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
1) The Great Pyramid of Giza
2) The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
3) The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
4) The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
5) The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
6) The Colossus of Rhodes
7) The Pharos of Alexandria
At some point around the Middle Ages, another list appeared – the Medieval World’s Seven Wonders.
2) The Colosseum
3) The Catacombs of Kom el Shoqafa
4) The Great Wall of China
5) The Porcelain Tower of Nanjing
6) The Hagia Sophia
7) The Leaning Tower of Pisa
Then there’s the list of the the Natural Wonders- wonders that were not made or improved upon by humans.
1) Mount Everest
2) The Great Barrier Reef
3) The Grand Canyon
4) Victoria Falls
5) The Harbor of Rio de Janeiro
6) Paricutin Volcano
7) The Northern Lights
And the Seven Wonders of the Modern World
1) The Empire State Building
2) The Itaipu Dam
3) The CN Tower
4) The Panama Canal
5) The Channel Tunnel
6) The North Sea Protection Works
7) The Golden Gate Bridge
Then people got out of control and made lists to fit everything else. There is a Seven Wonders list for everything. But there’s an organization, New 7 Wonders set on determining the new seven wonders by having participants vote in the very first global and democratic internet vote. So go vote for the new seven wonders and be a part of history.